This month seems to have gone by surprisingly slowly, but I think that’s because we moved house and it took a week or so to get everything sorted. I’m very excited for May for several reasons:
- It’s warm (usually)
- ACOWAR comes out
- I have a couple of interviews
- My bf is coming to visit our new house
I’m not under any illusions, I know that SJM’s writing has problems, and I’ve heard that there are some issues in ACOWAR from readers who’ve received their copies early, but since I’d already pre-ordered my copy, I’m going to read it and see how I feel.
I read seven books this month, including a graphic novel and a poetry collection, which I’m really happy with. I feel like I’ve read books from a variety of genres, which makes up for the fact that I still haven’t read ACOL. (Seriously, who am I?)
The books I planned to read this month were:
And the books I actually read were:
Noblesse volume one
Noblesse volume two
Lumberjanes volume 1
So I read some of books I’d planned and some I hadn’t. This was mainly a result of my copy of Days of Blood and Starlight being a library book, and I had to return it before we moved. My boyfriend also bought me Lumberjanes as a present, so I was eager to get started on that.
In general, though, as long as I read plenty during each month a little deviation isn’t so bad; I just like to compare my ‘before’ and ‘after’ to see what I actually read.
I had a bit of a resurgence in my love for poetry this month so I wrote about some of the poetry anthologies I’d like to read. I’ve always loved attending poetry readings and slams, but this month I actually felt like I wanted to write poetry for the first time in ages.
This month, I also took part in my first ever blog tour and it was a lot of fun. I wrote a review and did an author Q&A for Sheena Wilkinson’s book Street Song, which is out now.
Since a few reasonably big life events happened recently, I decided to blog about them. I recently interned at a small publishing house in London and also moved house, and since both events were great experiences I wanted to write a post on them. (If you’d like to see more posts like this, do let me know.)
- I’ve already mentioned this in my post about it, but my parents and I moved house in April! We all adore our new house and are settling in nicely.
- I got to volunteer at the Birmingham Literary Festival this months which was amazing. I met M G Leonard (she’s absolutely fascinating) and got to chat to her about writing and publishing. It was fab.
- I also went to the oldest cinema in the UK during April, which is The Electric in Birmingham. It’s such a stylish venue, so if you’re ever in the city I’d definitely recommend checking it out.
- As the title suggests, I FINALLY MANAGED TO GET OUT OF MY REVIEWING SLUMP! I pushed myself to start writing reviews again and I’m really enjoying them. Now I just need to keep on top of it each time I finish a book.
- Finally, I started watching Blue Exorcist this month and it’s so funny! I’m about two thirds of the way through season one and I really like the characters. I’ll definitely be watching season 2.
How was your reading during April? Did you read all the books you wanted to? Have you read any of these books? Come chat to me in the comments!